Friday, April 24, 2009

R.E.S.P.E.C.T = A.P.P.R.E.C.IA.T.IO.N


When one has hurt tremendously there are two ways to respond when the pain has simmered to a whisper; 1) arrogance, and 2) humility. Over the years I have come across some extremely egregious stories of men sucking the lifeblood from women (or the opposite) who have put their all into a relationship, only to discover at the end of the journey that they were only being used. Imagine the humiliation of watching someone you helped build into a quality American citizen, and expecting to be a benefactor of the success generated, only to end up watching from the sideline (discarded as if you played absolutely no role in their lives). For me I often hearken back to the many moments along the journey trying to remember the "eyes" and the staged affection when the struggle was most thick, attempting to learn so as to never allow myself to be used again. In my view this is the humble reaction to being wronged; a process which leads one on a journey of rediscovery, which automatically strengthens the soul, making one whole again. The arrogant response to being wronged is laden in revenge, in that the violated takes on a cold and bitter outlook of life as they move towards hearling (with achievment replacing all else), and they tend to search for the moment to grind the "ax of their sucess" in every "face at the bottom of the well." This is a phenomena within American society as old as the colonists; one which lacks two interrelated ideas: respect and appreciation.

There have been people who have helped my life along the way, some who stand out more then others, but nonetheless all a factor in the humanism of my spirit (which I believe is the ultimate measure of worldly success). I remember one of the greatest acts of sacrifice for my development in the story of my mother Virginia Clark scrapping up all she could to rent an apartment for me in Irvington (though we already lived in Newark, and had no intentions on moving in) just so I could finish out my senior year in Irvington High School. I have tremendous regard and consideration for that act, and the subsequent appreciation I have for her every time we speak jolts me as if it were just yesterday when she put that money in that landlords hands. My respect for my mother and the appreciation for her role in my life go hand in hand, and it was many acts of selflessness as the one described above that helped me become who I am today.

The purpose of this particular blog is to show my absolute respect and appreciation for a dear friend of mine who not only has helped me edit a few stories while pushing me to the edge of debate (a practice I enjoy), but who is also responsible for bringing me into the world of blogging by sharing her knowledge every step of the way. 78msj has helped me push even further into the world of writing and this homage piece is intended to show her, and all, that giving one praise for their time invested in you is important and valuable. I have always been a humble man, and truly believe that if we don't begin to get on the fast track of showing people real respect, then we will miss the opportunity to grow as a people (as we witness the greatest example of respect and appreciation of the 21st Century: The First Family of 2009. Thank you 78msj! One Love Always! Like Aretha Franklin said: R.E.S.P.E.C.T! A concept forever linked to A.P.P.R.E.C.I.A.T.I.O.N!

Written by Bee Quiet
BeeQuiet35@yahoo.com

1 comment: